There are many old ruins of old mine workings in The Elan Valley estate. This page will add photos and details of these ruins as and when I visit them.
Please click on the Links for more infomation of the mine
A vein of lead ore was discovered by a farm worker while digging a drainage leat for the land owner Thomas Grove of Cwm Elan House in 1796.
Thomas Grove worked the mine making a profit of £500. Due to water problems Thomas Grove leased the mine to Sir Thomas Bonsall who added a Adit to drain the water.
A Cornish company took over the mine in 1808 following the death of Sir Thomas Bonsall.
Cwmellan Lead Mines worked the mine in 1840 and issued a Promissory Note for £1, one of these note can be seen in Llanidloes Museum.
Cwm Elan Mining Company was formed in 1871 with a capital of £30,000 and new machinery and buildings was erected.
A 10 fathom (60 foot) level was worked and in November 1872 Charles Ely was elected as Company Chairman.
In 1873 the Crushing Mill started with a Blake's Stone Crusher, Crusher Rolls, Collom's Patent Jiggers and Round Buddles which was all supplied by William Thomas of Llanidloes Railway Foundry.
The Cwm Elan Mining Company is voluntarily wound up in November 1874 and the property was offered for sale by public auction.
In 1875 the mine was bought for £1.148/10s/8d by the newly formed New Cwm Elan Mining Company.
Work ceased at the mine in September 1877, at this point the Engine Shaft had reached a depth of 40 fathoms (240 feet).
The mine produced 175 tons of Lead and 160 tons of Zinc during the period of 1871 - 1877.
Trial mining probably started here in the 18th Century.
Small scale mining started again in 1844.
Nantycar Mining Company formed in 1849 and a more extensive development work commenced.
Nant Y Car North Mine contained Cooper, Lead and Zinc Ores which was mined extensively between 1849 and 1853.
A Engine Shaft was sunk to a depth of 53 Fathoms (318 foot), the shaft and dressing floors were powered by a 50 foot diameter waterwheel.
Output was small and mainly of Cooper Ore.
Dalrhiw Mine is just across the Rhiwnant River to Nant Y Car South Mine.
Work started at Dalrhiw Mine in 1850. Cooper Ore was mined early on from a Cooper Vein on the South bank of the river.
In 1851 a shaft was sunk just above the Adit Level and reached a depth of 37 fathoms (222 foot).
Mining continued until 1859 when the company was wound up. The mine was mined again from 1862 to 1867. During 1851 - 1862 a small output of Lead and Copper Ore was achieved.
Nant Y Car South is up the Rhiwnant Valley.
Mining at Nant Y Car South Mine started around 1852, where Lead and Zinc Ore was more common in relation to Cooper Ore.
Work on the mine was carried out by various owners until 1883, after which it was abandoned in favour of the Nant Garw Mine, just over a mile upstream.
Nant Y Gawr is in a remote part of the Claerwen Valley.
A Vein was discovered around 1877 and work commenced on the mine in 1882. The first sales of Lead Ore was in 1883.
Builth Lead Mining Co Ltd bought the mine in 1886 and worked the mine till 1893.
Nantgarw Mining Co Ltd continued working the mine till 1899 after which work at the mine was abandoned.
The recorded output from the mine was 2177 tons of Lead Ore concetrates.
Gwaith-Y-Mwynau Mine is near Maen Serth Standing Stone, Elan Valley, found this info on the net, great quantities of lead ore, impregnated with silver,
were found in the reign of Charles I, which were melted and coined for the pay of the royal army. It is possible that this mine goes right through the hill and comes out above Cwm Bach.
Page hits: 487