The estate of Cwm Elan, containing the Elan Valley mansion, was purchased in 1792 by Thomas Grove. It was described then as "10,000 worthless acres, which he is now converting into a paradise." Shelley’s the poet, who came to stay at Cwm Elan on two occasions, was to become very attached to the rugged grandeur of the local landscape. Shelley tried unsuccessfully to secure the lease of Nantgwyllt house, the large mansion in the nearby valley of the River Claerwen, only about one and a half miles from Cwm Elan. When water was very close to the house, it was knocked down before the reservoir filled. Cwm Elan House is located under Garreg Ddu Resevoir.
Map Ref SN9101 6463
Page hits: 1647